CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS

Monday, March 30, 2009

Sad Chocolate Story

Santa Felomina Beach

I had a friend named Ann during my elementary years in our province, she was diabetic ever since. I was aware of that since her family told me all about her condition. It was nothing serious for a childish young Dan at that time. It never did matter for I was not sure of my understanding about her disease. All I knew was not to let her eat chocolate or any other sugar filled foods as it may increase her sugar level making her suffer a lot of complications. It was funny to know someone at her young age was suffering such old-type disease.


We were really good friends I must say, we went to the same school, and we shared most of our dusk play hours in park of Cateel where we play the local games like “TAGO-AN” (Hide and Seek). This game was our favorite. I can still remember her reactions when I caught her unaware hiding in her favorite hiding area. There was burgeon sampaguita flower in Cateel park where she often times hide. You can hardly see someone when hiding there making it strategically witty to hide. Besides, it is located near the tree post of the one who is “TAYA” responsible to look for ones hiding.


One Friday towards the mid of March, we were heading to park for our usual routine. I gave her a piece of chocolate since I knew that she was not allowed to eat much. That chocolate was a present from my sister who just arrived from Davao for vacation. She ate her chocolate without any uncertainty. After awhile, she said that she was feeling dizzy. It did not matter to me and I was not aware of symptoms. When we arrived at the park, we rest for awhile waiting for our other friends. After about 20 minutes of waiting, the game began.


During my turn, I looked for her all over the park areas where she can possibly hide but could not find any traces of her. I looked for her and was never successful. So I left the park and told her parent of her lost. I was scared, I can hardly speak when detailing to her parents. I and her parents went to the park. I started feeling nervous; I knew that she was in danger since she was feeling bad. I was heading towards her favorite hiding place “sampaguita”, the flower was blooming and smelled perfume. The fragrance was scattered all over park. As I was approaching sampaguita, I felt anxious. I knew that she was in agony since she confided to me that she was feeling dire. I was dreadful to see her lying in a netted twines of sampaguita twigs with no trace of life. I solemnly cried, frightened and in denial. Her father took her and carried her, while on our way her mother noticed her closed fist. Her mother opened it and saw a chocolate wrapper. I was more frightened since I knew that it came from me.


After the burial, the caused of her death was left unknown. Until her parents asked me about what happened during that day we were playing at the park. So I told them about the chocolate, the game, about what happened. I started to cry when I was telling them about the chocolate I gave her, the time she told me of her distress and my regrets of not being aware of the symptoms. Her parents told me not to clinch to it as my fault since their daughter had a severe Type 2 Diabetes. They knew that the life of their daughter will be short lived and they were ready for that. The only thing they could do is to allow her daughter to enjoy life she has, allowing her to enjoy her childhood years, and even a little bit of chocolate. It was not the chocolate that caused her painful lost. It was her disease that took her life, her chance to enjoy much of life. It was not anybody’s fault; no one is to blame not even the chocolate.

This is a fiction story, a result of my endless imagination as well as my mode and emotional state.

0 comments:

 
Custom Search